KICK OFF EVENT – Mothercraft Circle: A Mother’s Support Group
KICK OFF EVENT: MOTHERWIT CIRCLE
Please join us for our kick-off event, which will include yoga, ceremony and discussion of birth experiences. This is a sacred and safe space to share expectations and experiences of childbirth, both positive and negative and have the support of a licensed mental health provider, a perinatal health educator, and a circle of wise mothers to hold and uplift each other.
Time and Date: Friday, October 25, 2019 from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Location: The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health, 3655 S. Grand Ave., Suite 260, Los Angeles, CA 90007
RSVP is required: Please send email by October 15 to Debbie.Benton@motherbabysupport.net
LOCATION OF MEETINGS
The Association for Wholistic Maternal and Newborn Health
3655 S. Grand Ave., Suite 260
Los Angeles, CA 90007
This group is intended for expectant and new mothers which incorporates mindfulness, yoga, art therapy, social support and discussion. Co-facilitated by a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Yoga instructor, Nakeya Fields, LCSW and a Perinatal Health Educator, Cordelia Hanna, MPH, CHES, ICCE, CLE, CBA, this group will focus on intellectual preparation and emotional well-being of women during pregnancy and new motherhood.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE
Any pregnant woman or mother with a child under 1 year of age. Free for Health Net Community Doula Program participants, and those with Medi-Cal. If participants do not have Medi-Cal, the cost is $20 per session. Insurance billing may be available. Contact us for details.
Discussions are participant-driven, however, some of the topics covered may include:
- Fears and Concerns about Childbirth and Parenthood
- Changes in Family Relationships and Friendships After Becoming a Mom
- Intimate Partner Relationship Adjustments to Pregnancy and Parenthood
- Sexuality During Pregnancy and After Childbirth
- Sibling Preparation for Childbirth and Becoming a Big Brother or Sister
- Infant Care Options: Circumcision, Immunization, Ear Piercing, Co-Sleeping, Attachment Parenting, Baby-Wearing, etc.
- Maternal Mental Health: Perinatal Mood and Anxiety
- Making Informed Choices for Childbirth
- Infant Mental Health: Promoting Secure Attachment and Parent-Infant Bonding
- Challenges of Working Mothers
- Choosing to be a Stay-At-Home Mom
- Child Development in the First Year
- Newborn Behavior and Appearance
- Breastfeeding Concerns and Questions
- Impact of Racism on Birth Outcomes of African-American/Black mothers and Infants
- Emotional Processing of Childbirth Experiences
- Guest Speakers and Workshops on Hypnosis for Childbirth and Motherhood, Belly Casting, Birth Art, Infant Massage, etc. (Extra materials charge for these activities may be requested).
HOW TO JOIN THE GROUP
Groups are ongoing. Participants may join at any time. RSVP required 24-hours in advance. Please contact Debbie.Benton@motherbabysupport.net or call (626) 388-2191 ext. 2. to register. You can also fill out the form on this page.
BABIES AND CHILDREN AT GROUP SESSIONS
Newborns and babies up to 6 months of age are welcome. Babysitting during the group can be provided for older children, with advanced notice at a nominal charge.
Should complex or challenging experiences of participants arise, referrals for individual, couples or child play therapy can be made to a The Feel Well Empowerment Center, who accepts Medi-Cal for mental health services. To request services, please complete The Feel Well Center’s new client intake form.
TIME OF MEETING
The 4th Friday of each month from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm.